Friday, December 28, 2007

Why Solo Scrapbooking?

Welcome to my new blog! In which I shall document the world of a solo scrapbooker.

So what is solo scrapbooking? To me, it means scrapbooking from the single person's point of view. Or a person who doesn't have a lot of scrapbooking friends locally, and tends to use the Internet.

To me, it mostly means scrapbooking outside the box - scrapbooking about something other than one's family. Because if you look at scrapbooking magazines and websites, 99% of the layouts include a spouse and/or children.

My layouts are part of the 1% not including a spouse or kids. I'm a little tired of walking into Michael's and being confronted with all the wedding or baby stickers. I'm hungry to chat with others.

It's not that I hate married people or children. It's not that I think I am lacking something or that something is wrong with me. It's just that it sometimes feels that the scrapbooking industry doesn't know what to do with me. So I'm speaking up.

I am a single woman, with cats. I went to a crop once, and nobody knew what to chat with me about, because I was the one person who didn't have pictures of my children with me. They were relieved when I pulled out pictures of my niece and nephew. :-)
So I don't go to a lot of events. I prefer to chat online. And I am living a solo life. I am a solo scrapbooker.

It is my aim to share my layouts with you, that fit into that 1%. To challenge you to focus on you. To share resources. And to have fun. Because if scrapbooking isn't fun, what's the point?


SpokaneMama said...

I'm married with kids and cats...just allergies.

Anyway, I have to say I agree about the scrapbook stores. They are definitely designed for specific family events.

I love making a page that focuses on my love of the outdoors and photography. And sometimes there isn't even a single person in the picture too!

I love my family, but I love those pages. They are like the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae!

These are the Stamps of Our Lives said...

I was thrilled to read your post! Although I am married now, I only married at age 33... so been married about 2.5 yrs now... and no children... yet? who knows... maybe we won't have any... but we do have 3 cats - kind of Brady bunch-esque - I had 2 cats & he had 1 cat... and I have a million photos of our cats! I also love to scrap non-family, non-people things too and I save all sorts of memorabilia... I certainly look forward to future posts on your blog! Hope you'll stay in touch...