Friday, December 28, 2007

Why Solo Scrapbooking?

Welcome to my new blog! In which I shall document the world of a solo scrapbooker.

So what is solo scrapbooking? To me, it means scrapbooking from the single person's point of view. Or a person who doesn't have a lot of scrapbooking friends locally, and tends to use the Internet.

To me, it mostly means scrapbooking outside the box - scrapbooking about something other than one's family. Because if you look at scrapbooking magazines and websites, 99% of the layouts include a spouse and/or children.

My layouts are part of the 1% not including a spouse or kids. I'm a little tired of walking into Michael's and being confronted with all the wedding or baby stickers. I'm hungry to chat with others.

It's not that I hate married people or children. It's not that I think I am lacking something or that something is wrong with me. It's just that it sometimes feels that the scrapbooking industry doesn't know what to do with me. So I'm speaking up.

I am a single woman, with cats. I went to a crop once, and nobody knew what to chat with me about, because I was the one person who didn't have pictures of my children with me. They were relieved when I pulled out pictures of my niece and nephew. :-)
So I don't go to a lot of events. I prefer to chat online. And I am living a solo life. I am a solo scrapbooker.

It is my aim to share my layouts with you, that fit into that 1%. To challenge you to focus on you. To share resources. And to have fun. Because if scrapbooking isn't fun, what's the point?

2 comments:

9milemom said...

I'm married with kids and dogs...no cats...just allergies.

Anyway, I have to say I agree about the scrapbook stores. They are definitely designed for specific family events.

I love making a page that focuses on my love of the outdoors and photography. And sometimes there isn't even a single person in the picture too!

I love my family, but I love those pages. They are like the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae!

These are the Stamps of Our Lives said...

I was thrilled to read your post! Although I am married now, I only married at age 33... so been married about 2.5 yrs now... and no children... yet? who knows... maybe we won't have any... but we do have 3 cats - kind of Brady bunch-esque - I had 2 cats & he had 1 cat... and I have a million photos of our cats! I also love to scrap non-family, non-people things too and I save all sorts of memorabilia... I certainly look forward to future posts on your blog! Hope you'll stay in touch...